Tuesday 6 October 2015

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti

So, here we are in the double-digit months. And I'm glad. September was a tough, low energy month for me.
Back when I was in GP practice, I used to start seeing patients with something I called "September Syndrome"  around this time of year. I thought it was my own invented diagnosis: one I used to try and explain the lethargy and low spirits that would afflict people as the 'ber months hit. It was certainly nothing that I'd been taught about in med-school. But it turns out that it actually is a phenomenon. It's called Frühjahrsmüdigkeit in German. Spring tiredness.
(I wish I'd known that term back then - it would have sounded suitably impressive and serious!)

So, if like me, you've been feeling the seasonal 'müdigkeit, take heart and know that it'll pass as rapidly as the 'ber months do.
And if reassurance doesn't help you feel better, a good dose of coffee and chocolate usually will!





Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Recipe by Tea, Cake and Create

Ingredients:

80g butter
150g light brown sugar
2 XL eggs
220g cake flour
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
100g blanched hazelnuts
120g chocolate chips




In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the eggs 1 at a time. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl in between additions. Beat well.
Sift in the dry ingredients. Beat briefly on low speed, until just combined.
Mix in the nuts and chocolate chips.

Divide the dough in two. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into two sausages.
(Approx 25cm long).
Place on a baking tray. Cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30min.

Preheat the oven to 170'C
Bake the dough for approx 35-45min, or until firm to touch.
Remove from the oven. Cool for 5 min, then slice on the diagonal (approx 1.5cm thick slices).

Place cut-side down on the baking tray, and return to a warm oven until dried out and crispy.
Cool completely before storing in a sealed container.


Happy baking!


xxM 

No comments:

Post a Comment