Friday 13 March 2015

Spotlight - Blossoms and Bakes, Hillcrest

For a while now I've been mulling over how best to promote and bring to peoples' attention the talented ladies I've encountered through my classes. I wanted it to be more substantial than just sharing their pages on Facebook.  And I personally love to know about people. (It's called being interested,  not nosiness, ok?!)

So, herewith the first of what I hope is going to be a monthly feature of interviews with local bakers, decorators and associated business owners.

Let's all say Hi to....

 Blossoms and Bakes, Fancis Bothwell




Tell us a little about yourself / your background.


My name is Francis Bothwell.  I grew up in the Netherlands and after finishing fashion school where I had a great outlet to be creative and learn about photography, styling and graphic design, I travelled the world.
I have since settled in Hillcrest South Africa with my husband* and our 5 year old son.
(*Editor's note - Fran's husband helps me out whenever I've got my self in too deep with my Mac. He's an Apple expert... Mac Access)


How did you get into baking / decorating?


 I always loved baking, as a young girl I loved to bake with my Mom.
But missing home and craving Dutch treats I started baking biscuits and cakes for myself, family and friends.They where such a hit that I kept getting orders and when I saw some iced biscuits in a local deli I knew this is what I wanted to do.

What do you like making / decorating the most and why? 
Anything you steer clear of? 
 I don’t really have a favourite as I prefer challenging myself and trying out new recipes.
 I don’t really steer clear from anything. And if it’s believed a recipe is hard, it makes me 
 want to try it even more.

What are your biggest baking / decorating challenges?  
Have you had any memorable disasters? 
 It is really important to me to use natural and good quality ingredients. As I use only 
 natural colouring it can be very challenging to get the right colours for icing and fondant.
 I remember trying to make black icing and started off with way to much icing to colour black 
 and ended with a huge bag of grey icing!
      

What's are you most proud of so far? 
 It is not necessarily a product but the fact that I have not given up yet and still challenging
 myself to try new things.

     

What would you say your style is, or is there a particular style you like to follow? 
 I would say my style is organic and simple, drawn to more natural colours and materials.
 Donna Hay for example, her style I enjoy.

Where would you like to go with your craft? 
My short term goal at the moment is to learn as much as I can and develop my personal style.
Long term it would be fantastic to be able to bake and style for magazines and maybe even start my own blog.
   
Any words for the decorating community? 
Don’t be discouraged if a recipe doesn’t work out. Don’t give up, research and keep trying, and don’t loose sight of what inspired you to bake, have fun with it!




..................................
---------------


Aren't Fran's photo's great?! It was seeing her pictures on her FB page, that really spurred me into action to get these interviews started.
So, go over, see for yourself and show her some love at Blossoms and Bakes.

Until next time...

xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment